Is web design just another a skill for your business?

cocolgooh

Bronze Member
BMF Tokens
I think if you can do web design yourself it will definitely benefit your business. It means you don't have to shell out to get your designs created. Aside from your time of course.

However, I think if you are good at web design and have the time to provide it as a service to others you definitely should! It's a great way to add to your own income, or alternatively you can trade your web design skills with a skill they have and help one another out.

thedeatheater1410

Newbie Member
BMF Tokens
It is always beneficial to learn web design on your own, since a lot of people are going to interact with your business through your website and you need to have the best infrastructure in place so that your potential customers don't feel turned off by bad design. Hire people only if you have too much on your hand, but do try to get some basic knowledge so that you can make sure your inputs are heard and implemented.

SirJoe

Silver Member
BMF Tokens
I have built some pages for friends but most of the web design that I do is for myself. It can be really satisfying doing this for yourself and you can make your page look exactly the way you want.

Petesede

Bronze Member
BMF Tokens
One of the great things about owning a small business is you get some expertise in many different areas, accounting, marketing, website design etc. I think it really depends on what your business is, and how often you will be working on your website. If the actual work of your businesses is the website, then just do it yourself. but if you have a whole other business to deal with, it might be worth your time to hire a kid to do the website stuff.

pwarbi

Silver Member
BMF Tokens
A few years ago then I think there was a lot of money to be made with web design and people were offering money left, right and centre for people to work on building them a website, but these days I think the need as quietend down a lot.

Web design is still a worthwhile skill to learn, I just don't think it's an easy way to make money anymore like it used to be.

Ash

Silver Member
BMF Tokens
It's great if you as a business owner/manager can have the skill of web designing. It's better sometimes to be able to design your own sites as you can make it look the exact way you want in terms of both colour and layout. Plus it can be cheaper in the long run as you won't have to keep hiring a third party to edit your website.

Alexandoy

Silver Member
BMF Tokens
Designing web sites is a good business especially if you have a good business connection. Corporate clients pay high for a good design and they are amenable to a retainer fee to get priority in service in case they want revisions or additions to their site design.

I was one of those who learned Dreamweaver here and I was expectant of good business. However, I realized early in the game that I didn't have the artistic talent so I moved my focus on other things.

overcast

Emerald Member
BMF Tokens
I have web design and the virtual assistance as a skill. And I have profile on fiverr where I have gig for the people to work on the simple wordpress specific projects. I do get clients every now and then and offer services for design. Most of the business seems to pay very little amount on fiverr. So I am trying to find other marketplaces.