Join ClicksFly now!

How useful are Freenom domain names?

kattech

Silver Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand that Freenon aka dot tk domain names are completely free of charge to register and use for up to 12 months registration unless one wants to make it say 24 months. These domain names have always been my favorite basing on the fact that my single dot tk site featuring credit cards is ranking no1 in Google on a particular keywords. Although I dropped the idea of using more sites powered by freenon, I know many still use them. How useful are those domain names to you?

ICTman1076

Silver Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freenom are great as perhaps a temporary domain, but definitely shouldn't be used in the long term. They apply limitations, including (I believe) if you get more than a certain amount of visitors, they'll redirect the domain to their own website. Also, .tk domains are often detected as spam, as spammers often use them because they're free. This spam detection may make your website less visible to others.
My advice: try and get a paid domain ASAP, but freenom will be OK in the short term.

kattech

Silver Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freenom are great as perhaps a temporary domain, but definitely shouldn't be used in the long term. They apply limitations, including (I believe) if you get more than a certain amount of visitors, they'll redirect the domain to their own website. Also, .tk domains are often detected as spam, as spammers often use them because they're free. This spam detection may make your website less visible to others.
My advice: try and get a paid domain ASAP, but freenom will be OK in the short term.
Well explained. I have always wondered why despite being free, many people still go for paid domains. Now I can tell why since spam looks to be one of the reasons. In fact, one blog of mine suffered when I found it deleted and traffic redirected. Thanks for the information.

overcast

Emerald Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the freenom domains are abused from what I have seen so far. And another thing is that in order to keep them free there are some of the limitations which are placed. If you are serious about blogging or any type of business, then the best thing you can do that is not to go with the freenom domain or the DNS.

zeljko

Emerald Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have problem with Freenom and gmail login. I can Access to Freenom with old gmail account where I already have few domains registered but I can't Access with newest gmail where I don't have any domain yer. I'm using different browser (Chrome for working emal and Opera).
I got error: Your social plugin could not be determinated.

Can anybody try access it?

matt9005

Emerald Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a .Cf domain from freenom for my new blog, and I plan to switch domain providers when it's no longer available. Is namecheap a good alternative?

Rainer

Silver Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a .Cf domain from freenom for my new blog, and I plan to switch domain providers when it's no longer available. Is namecheap a good alternative?
All my domains are at NameCheap right now, because I got them for a bargain (I got my .com's on Black Friday for $1 each) and I haven't had any issues so far. As much as I've dealt with their web hosting it's also great.

matt9005

Emerald Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my domains are at NameCheap right now, because I got them for a bargain (I got my .com's on Black Friday for $1 each) and I haven't had any issues so far. As much as I've dealt with their web hosting it's also great.
Thanks for the information. I'll be switching to a namecheap domain in case freenom suspendeds mine for some reason, or when my site gets enough traffic.

ICTman1076

Silver Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the domain. Personally, I use tld-list.com to find the cheapest price for the domain I want and the services I want. Make sure to check both register and renewal prices - some places will give you a very low register price, only to whack it up to overpriced when it comes to renewal.

matt9005

Emerald Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sticking with a free domain will really show how your website isn't professional + it doesn't look that good & trustworthy .
That's why I'll be switching to namecheap when my site starts getting more visitors. Freenom domains are known for spam and rank low in searches.

ICTman1076

Silver Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few days ago, Freenom took my domain. No explanation as to why. I was forcced to buy it back off them - after fees, it was over £10 for a year (and you can get better domains cheaper). I needed to purchase it because everything I had was reliant on that domain, and they know that. So as soon as business starts to grow, and your site gets popular, they'll take your domain off you.
Be very cautious.

happietappy

Gold Member
Awards
BMF Points
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few days ago, Freenom took my domain. No explanation as to why. I was forcced to buy it back off them - after fees, it was over £10 for a year (and you can get better domains cheaper). I needed to purchase it because everything I had was reliant on that domain, and they know that. So as soon as business starts to grow, and your site gets popular, they'll take your domain off you.
Be very cautious.
Sorry about that man, i remember them also doing this to me some years back when i was first trying them out, luckily enough, the site was just a test site so i just let go of their domain.

A rule of thumb i read somewhere is that only use Freenom domains for redirects even if it's to a free subdomain.