- May 16, 2017
- Reaction score
- New Jersey
- BMF Points
Ai-Media is a company who hires transcribers or captioners to add live or closed captions to movies, videos, live broadcasts and more. Currently, the company only works with people who live in the United States, the United Kingdom or in Australia. If you currently do transcribe work this would be a great job opportunity for you. The only difference in these jobs is the fact that you will be working with live videos and typing the captions on the screen as people are talking. I’m sure that everyone has seen the text at the bottom of films for the hearing impaired. The text on the screen syncs up with the voices when they talk. It also allows the person to understand if a horn honk or a person slams the door.
How Does This Work?
- You’ll need to go to the website and fill in your application and submit this to the company.
- Before you submit your application, it is a good idea to read the terms and conditions of the site.
- At times the company isn’t hiring and will request you to send them your CV which they will keep on file and notify you when a job opening comes up.
- Before you can work with this company they do a background check on you. This is customary for each person that works for them even if you are a freelancer.
- You must live in one of three countries in order to apply for the job. They are only hiring freelancers that live in the United States, the United Kingdom or in Australia.
- You also need to be proficient in the English language, spelling, grammar, and punctuation. This is very critical for the job.
- You will also need a computer that runs Windows. If you have a MAC it is mandatory that you can install Windows on your computer.
- You will need an Internet connection and the Chrome browser on your computer.
You must agree to take the training class before you can start working with this company. This class isn’t a paid class and it normally takes 4 to 6-hours to complete the class. During the class, you’ll learn how to type the captions on the screen, sync up the captions with the video and how to use the respeaking software and the steno captioning machine.
What is Respeaking?
You will be repeating the words you hear on the video file into a microphone. The microphone is connected to the captioning software and will add your spoken words to the video as you are talking. When you are done repeating the words from the video, you’ll need to go back in and edit the work in order for it to sync up with the film.
What is Stenocaptioning?
You will be using a stenotype machine that is attached to your computer. You will type in shorthand commands on the machine which will be transferred to the video and displayed on your screen.
How Much Can You Earn?
This all depends on the job that you are working on. The company normally pays you $27 to $42 for each video hour. This isn’t how much time you spend on adding the caption to the video. Normally, it will take you around 3 hours to complete a 1-hour video. That is because you need to type the captions, edit your work, do the research, and rewind the video numerous times to make sure the captions are syncing up with the film correctly.
How Are You Paid?
The company pays twice a month or every two weeks. The money is sent to your PayPal account.
I joined this company and started to work for them. It is a good job and I’ve been paid several times since I started.